Tips for planning a video
Video as a learning assignment? Some courses may include an assignment of producing a video presenting the results of a group assignment, for example. Sometimes students can make short videos on a subject they are studying instead of a written report. A job application should be accompanied by a video CV. Are you wondering how to make a video with elements other than the talking head videoed with your phone’s camera?
There are many different ways to make a video! Tips for screen recording, links to free video editors, and instructions on how to share a video can be found on this page. Video editor programs are usually easy to use – some programs can even guide you through editing your video. Some programs offer suitable content to add to the video based on keywords.
To start planning your video, consider the following questions:
- TARGET AUDIENCE – Who will watch your video? Why are you making the video?
- VISUAL NARRATIVE – Does your video consist mainly of still images, or does your video include multiple video clips? Do you use ready-made graphics and images from video editing programs in your video?
- SOUND – Does your video have background music, sound effects, and possibly voiceover?
- TEXT – What is the title of your video? What else do you want to express in the video with the aid of texts? What do the end credits include?
- MOVEMENT AND RHYTHM – At what rate do the images change? What kind of transitions do you use between images? Is movement added to still images?
ScreenPal (former Screencast-O-Matic )
You can use Screenpal Screen Recorder to record the screen and sound of your computer. You can define the area of your screen that the program will record. You can make an unlimited number of recordings up to 15 minutes long.
- Plan the video in advance and write a rough script using bullet points, for example.
- Think about the content and duration of the video suitable for the purpose, as well as the sharing channels.
- Open all the views you need on your computer and close unnecessary programs and browser windows.
- Open ScreenPal Screen Recorder in your browser and click Launch Free Recorder.
- The recorder will appear on the screen, and you can start recording.
- If necessary, you can pause and resume recording.
- Complete the video with subtitles if necessary.
How To Tutorials | Screen Recorder, Video Editor & Screen Capture (screenpal.com) (Opens in a new tab)
Recording in an online meeting service
You can make a recording in a Teams meeting. In a Teams meeting, you can make even a long recording. While recording is in progress, all the events in the meeting are recorded, such as the presentation you shared, the camera view and the audio.
- Start a Teams meeting.
- On the Teams toolbar, select More actions (three dots) and select “Start recording” from the dropdown menu.
- The recording starts, and a red circle appears in the upper left-hand corner to indicate that a recording is in progress.
- You will receive a notification to start recording. Close the notification from the “reject” button.
- You are now recording everything that is said or presented in the space. The chat function is not displayed on the recording.
- When you are finished, you can stop recording by selecting More actions (three dots) and “Stop recording” from the dropdown menu.
- You will be notified that the recording is being saved. Close the notification from the “reject” button.
- The recording is saved to your personal O365 OneDrive service, from which the recording can be shared with other users.
For detailed instructions on how to make and share a recording, see: How do I make a Teams recording (in finnish, opens in a new tab)
In Canva, you can create a video in your browser for free. Canva requires you to sign in using your Google ID, for example.
Check out Canva: Free Design Tool: Presentations, Video, Social Media | Canva (opens in a new tab).
You can choose the appropriate format and size for the video – for example, an Instagram video. You can import your videos into the program for editing and add text, stickers, transitions and audio files to them. You can also create your video from your own still images, to which you can add motion in the program. Canva offers ready-made video templates, as well as an archive of images and sounds. A paid version of the video editor is also available with wider access rights.
In Canva, the same video can be edited by more than one person if you have added them with editing rights to the video design template.
You can share your video directly from Canva as a link, allowing those who receive the link to watch your video without signing in. You can also download your video as an MP4 file to your own device.
Check out Illustrated instructions on how to edit videos in Canva (opens in a new tab).
View Canva videotutorials, where you can learn to use the video editor (opens in a new tab).
Clipchamp is a free video editor from Microsoft that can be used as a desktop, browser or mobile application. Clipchamp requires you to sign in with your Microsoft or Google ID, for example.
Check out the video editor: Free online video editor | Clipchamp – fast and easy (opens in a new tab).
Clipchamp is an easy-to-use video editor. You can add text, images, special effects, transitions from one image to another, music and voiceover to a video. The free version of the program includes ready-made video templates, as well as an image and audio archive. A paid version of the video editor is also available with wider access rights.
View Clipchamp video tutorials from Youtube, where you can learn to use the video editor (opens in a new tab).
Kaltura is a video sharing service that has been acquired for the use of LUC universities. Kaltura can be used by all students and staff of the aforementioned higher education institutions.
Log in to the Kaltura service with your student ID.
Read eLearning Services Kaltura student guidelines (opens in a new tab). Illustrated instructions is a step-by-step guide on how to upload a video, how to edit a video, and how to share a video with other users.
YouTube is a video service that allows you to share your videos free of charge.
- Go to page eLearning Services.
- Select Siirry Googleen (Opiskelija) (Go to Google [Student]) under Työvälineet (Tools).
- Log in with your student ID.
- Click the waffle button in the upper right-hand corner, select YouTube from the apps.
- When you go to the YouTube page, click the camera icon (create) in the top bar.
- If necessary, create a channel for yourself to publish the video.
- Choose visibility for your video: public, private, hidden, scheduled. A hidden video is only visible to those who have received the link and does not appear in Google search results, for example.
- Import or drag a video file from your device. The video is uploaded to the service.
- You can name your video, even if the video is still being processed.
- Write a description for your video and choose a thumbnail for your video if you wish.
- Share your video with others by copying the address from your browser’s address bar.